SAN ANTONIO — On Thursday, March 16th from 6-8 PM the San Antonio Justice Charter coalition will host its official Prop A Launch Party at the San Antonio Alliance. Guest speakers will be Congressman Greg Casar, San Antonio Alliance President Alejandra Lopez, Councilman Roberto Treviño, AVOW Political Director Yaneth Flores, immigration rights advocate Carolina Canizales, and Wendy Davis, the senior political advisor for Planned Parenthood Texas Votes.
Proposition A is on the municipal ballot for May 6, 2023 in San Antonio. If passed it will amend the city charter with a goal to fight the city’s contribution to mass incarceration, reduce racially discriminatory policing practices, and save scarce public safety resources that can be reallocated to other public needs through a comprehensive set of reforms including:
● Decriminalization of cannabis under 4 ounces
● Decriminalization of abortion
● Banning of police chokeholds
● Banning of no-knock warrants with additional additional policies concerning the issuing of such warrants
● Making permanent the current practice of cite and release for certain misdemeanors as allowed by state law
● Creation of a Justice Director position
This would make San Antonio the first city in the South to ban police and other city resources from criminalizing abortion seekers or providers since the overturning of Roe v. Wade.
The event is family friendly and dog-friendly. Drinks and snacks will be provided, and participants can collect yard signs to show their support for the policy to their neighbors. Guest speakers will begin their speeches around 6:30 PM.
WHEN: Thursday, March 16 at 6 PM WHERE: 120 Adams St, San Antonio Texas, 78210